Sunday, January 6, 2013

Juxtaposed Across America

The two greatest compliments I could ever give another is that one is compassion embodied and that one is a great parent. Those two attributes trump just about anything else in my book. I want to celebrate three women, all amazing moms, who are lights in this world. These crazy ladies (yeah, I said it) are the winners of my “Juxtaposed Across America” contest, and they took my book with them everywhere they went and took pictures in some very interesting places. You can see all of the pictures posted at http://pinterest.com/daisyrainmartin/juxtaposed-across-america/.

I asked them each of the ladies three questions:

~What do you wish for the world?
~What do you love about being a mom?
~Tell me about a time you witnessed a miracle.

Part One of this three-part series begins with my sweetheart, Teresa Horvet. Sometimes I call her Mother Teresa. I met her at Vanguard University where we both sang in the college ensemble. She graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English, stayed in California, married a great guy and adopted two magnificent (and brilliantly hilarious) children. Here is her insight for us:

“The greatest desire I have for this world is that people realize that in order to succeed in life, you don't have to make it a zero-sum game. In other words, winning doesn't mean others have to lose. If you create a win-win situation for the other party - be it personal or professional - then you have created a good reputation for integrity and people trust you. And as the Bible says, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches."


“So, what I love about being a mom? I love seeing the world again through their eyes. Some of my best memories are Disneyland trips where I got to see the wonder and beauty of it and experience the parades through their eyes. Watching them become mesmerized by a leaf in a stream float down and pretending it's a little boat. Now that they are older, I love that they feel they can ask about their birth families and know that I will not feel betrayed if they do ask. It lets me know that I have earned their trust.”

“The best [miracle] I can recall is the marriage of a friend of ours. He lost his wife to cancer when his daughters were 2 and 7. He met and married a widow with no kids. She told me once that the Lord told her she and her husband would have kids. Then she ended up with a hysterectomy. Then they looked into adoption. Then her husband said no. Then he got cancer and died. So she really wondered what was going on! Why would the Lord tell her she was going to have children and take away all the options? Then she was introduced to Bob. His girls look more like her than him! As she walked up the aisle at their wedding, I never saw a more radiant bride. She was 52 years old. After they were pronounced husband and wife, the youngest - Rachel who was now 6 years old - whispered, 'Finally I have a mom.' To this day, you would not know that she is not their biological mom. God came through in a miraculous way that created a beautiful story out of TWO tragedies.” Teresa, my darling I love you! You inspire me every time we connect. I admire you so much for the warmth you pour out on everyone you engage with every day. You never get tired of doing what is right, and you are such an encouragement to me. Thank you for starting this crazy contest and for being such a supporter of me and Juxtaposed. I have definitely found sanctuary with you, my friend.

 Love, Daisy Rain

 NEXT WEEK: Katie Wiese

No comments: