Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Mike,

Dear Mike,

I thought your Facebook post was spot on yesterday, and you know I was biting my tongue in regard to some of the responses that people were posting. I bit my tongue out of a simple respect for you. It’s one thing to light your OWN Facebook page on fire; it’s quite another to light someone else’s on fire. I have no desire to do that. That’s what blogs are for. Incidentally, I’ve lit my own Facebook page on fire—it took me about three weeks to put it out.

However, since it wouldn’t be inappropriate in the least to express my opinions here on my own personal blog—the “Libs” haven’t taken THAT right away, have they? If they have I didn’t get the memo and I AM one so you’d think I would have heard—let me say a few things.

To catch everybody up, here was Mike’s post:

I'm not looking to the Republicans and Democrats for leadership. Live as citizens of the Kingdom of God. Jesus never fails.

I thanked Mike for his wisdom. Justin wrote:

Justin Webb at 9:45pm June 20
You may have to pick especially if the Libs say you can't have any sermons condeming homosexuality in your churh service. It may be considered a hate crime!

I simply responded with: Ugh.
Here’s what I didn’t post:

Dear Justin,
I’m sure you’re a very nice guy. I’d like to ask you respectfully to consider this possibility: There are no “Libs” who have ever entertained such a notion. The “Libs” are not out to squelch anyone’s freedom of expression, speech, or religious beliefs. This notion was most likely born straight out of an ultra-conservative camp, which puts out these hypothetical scenarios in order to stir up fear in the people they are trying to manipulate. I’m astounded that it works, but alas, it works. It WORKS! BUT, let’s just say that it IS true. It’s not, but I’m entertaining the suggestion here. Let’s say that preachers can no longer even broach the “hot button” subjects. The gospel will still be preached. Can I get an amen?

And, on a side note? I’m personally appalled at how gay and lesbian and transgendered citizens are treated by Christians in general. I don’t want anyone’s right to free speech to be taken away, but these sermons “condem(n)ing homosexuality” really don’t do a thing for me, I gotta be honest. I don’t think they do anything for anybody. I don’t think gay people come screaming down the aisle to the altar to get saved after hearing those sermons. I don’t think STRAIGHT people come screaming down the aisle to the altar to get saved. I don’t think ANYBODY comes screaming down the aisle after a sermon like that. I think people get up out of their seats after hearing a sermon like that and feel more justified in their contempt and disdain for gay people. Period. I choose simply to love people—all people, gay or straight—and let the Holy Spirit do His job in bringing ALL people—gay or straight—to a place where they can live a life that is holy and pleasing to God. In fact, I’m so sickened by the treatment of gay and lesbian and transgendered people that I’m a bona-fide Jesus girl who votes to legalize gay marriage every chance I get because I see it as an issue of equality, and I think that the REAL moral issue here is the hatred that these Americans continue to endure. I think WE need to repent!

There. I said it.

And I know a bunch of OTHER Christians who are also personally appalled as I am and SECRETLY vote to legalize gay marriage too—even a PASTOR who would NEVER admit it to his congregation, but he admitted it to me because we are very close friends. I’m not even remotely kidding.

So, whether or not Mike and I vote the same way or are members of the same political party is less relevant than the fact that we are making our way as best we can, ultimately, to the same location after we die. He seems to suggest that we walk hand in hand toward a kingdom that, unlike the United States of America, will never pass away. I mean, let’s face it folks. Everything on this earth is born, it lives, it declines, it dies. People, careers, cultures, nations. Anyone who thinks America is going to last forever is living in La La Land. This is earth. Don’t get too attached.

And, Mike, I think that’s all you were really trying to say. You weren’t suggesting that we don’t vote or “check out” of politics. You didn’t tell anybody HOW to vote. You’re just encouraging us to keep it all in perspective: We are merely pilgrims here, just trying to get home. And what should we do in the meantime?

How about love one another? As John the Beloved Apostle said, if it is ALL we do, it is enough.

And now… let the firestorm begin! For all those of you who believe I’m going straight to hell with all the gays, lesbians and transgendered… post away!

Mike, buddy, I’ll see you in Heaven, if not before! HA! ☺ Kiss my Heather for me!

12 comments:

Casey, Janelle, Ella, and Hadley said...

AMEN! Well stated. Nice job-- very courageous.
Janelle

Anonymous said...

Laud.
-Kevin

Anonymous said...

Well said Daisy. Dawn

mwHarrison said...

As always, you shine....

Anonymous said...

You gotta love someone who just says it as it is and I love you Daisy Rain!!!!!!

--Rod!

Daisy Rain Martin said...

I love ALL you guys! WOW! I never thought the responses would be this positive! Thank you guys. You have blessed me immensely today!

Anonymous said...

Daisy,
You said it!!! Thanks you for putting it into words for me.
Love,
Cat

Anonymous said...

I have thought much about your post. Absolutely, if we are calling ourself a Christian, we had better be loving gay (etc.) people. It is all about love. Anyone who does not treat a homosexual, transgender etc. with love has missed the whole truth of the gospel. Daisy, I know you have had many wonderful friends who are gay and happen to be better people than some Christians you have known. I myself have had many great friendships with gay people and one woman in paticular I spent FIVE years building a relationship with her and it took that long for her to trust me because I was a Christian and she had been hurt by Christians. However, we (us Christians) are called to live by biblical "rules" (weather we like them or not ie: before I was saved I kind of liked having premarital sex.. but the "book" said that is a no, no) and there is nothing in the bible stating or condoning gay marriage. So, in our quest to right the wrong, do we compromise? At what point do we say, I love you and accept you, but I can't accept your behavior. It is a pandora's box that has been opened on our society(regarding the hate crimes legislation and gay marriages). You can scream "alarmist" to those who are apposing same sex marriage(and rightly concerned about the new hate crime initiative/law), however back when Roe V. Wade was legalized the same was said of those that said abortion would end up being performed past 3 months and on demand... and look what we have now.
Frankly, I see our society as pretty much accepting/desensitized to homosexuality to the point that if even a "nice" opinion to the contrary is met with fire and brimstone.. look at poor Miss California.
I also don't want a man like Kevin Jennings in charge of the Education Dept. Good grief WHY does a Kindergartener need to know about homosexuality to begin with... they have a hard enough time learning to share toys!!!
All that said (I couldn't sleep thinking about it). I think you are an awsome woman Daisy Rain and I know we will walk on the street of gold together. I will continue, as I always have, to love all people gay, straight, undecided (truth be know I have a hard time loving the gossip/slander, they make loving gay people easy:). But, at the same time protecting my children from desensitization. I am not nearly the writer you are, but I hope it was O.K. All my love,
karen

Daisy Rain Martin said...

My Karen,

Of course, my response wouldn't FIT in this little box, so you got your very own blog post. Thank you SO MUCH for being such a wonderful friend. You are cherished!!!

Hope you guys are doing GREAT!

Love you!
Daisy

The Wiese Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wiese Family said...

It is funny that you wrote about this!!! I have been stirring the same topic over in my head because of something that happened to my sister. Who is a lesbian.

As a Christian, I don't agree with that life style...but I do believe in loving EVERYONE the way God would have loved them! I love my sister and support my sister...that doesn't mean I have to agree with her choice. She know how I feel...and she says, "That is all I ask!" So there you have it! LOVE PEOPLE!!! That is what Jesus Christ does...and being a Christian to me means striving to be CHRIST LIKE!!!

Thanks Daisy! I love you!

Cody Stauffer said...

Daisy, I think your posts are both very good. I love that there is room for a nuanced view, and that you recognize that this is an issue that in many respects is not so cut and dry, because there are a lot of well-meaning people all over the place.

For people who respect the Bible or adhere to it, I only say this: the Bible was never intended to be the rule and law for all people. It is for those who submit to its teachings. We would not stand for a government enforcing the laws and rules of Sharia from the Quran. No, a government should stand for equal rights for all people. ALL people. You do not have to agree with a person's lifestyle; the way a person lives does not diminish the life that you live.

But allowing inequality like someone being completely erased from a will because their relationship with the deceased is not recognized OR not allowing someone health insurance or other benefits given even to unmarried (straight) couples living together; or not giving someone the same chance to pursue lasting happiness with the person they love that we get- that kind of inequality diminishes us all.

Check out this video of Keith Olbermann talking about this issue (normally he's a little over the top for me, but I really appreciated this one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpTBF6EfxY

I love the quote from Omar Kayyam at the end.

Anyway, I thought these were both great, evenhanded, open and honest posts, Daisy. Thanks for sharing and being so generous in your frank discussion!