Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm Bored!

I’m bored.

My husband is fishing. My son is with his girlfriend. I’m still in my pajamas. I just won a game of solitaire without cheating, which is pretty hard to do, and I’m staring at the dog who is staring back at me. I think she wants some of my top ramen noodles.

There are a million and one things I could be doing, but most of them fall in the category of “have to”. I don’t want to do the laundry. I don’t want to clean out the cupboards in the office. I don’t want to get on the treadmill. I don’t want to plan all the meals for the week and go to the grocery store.

I don’t even want to do the things that usually fall under the category of “leisure” for me. I don’t want to read. I don’t want to write. I don’t want to watch TV. I don’t want a pedicure.

I want to build a swimming pool in the back yard.

And people in Hell want ice water.

Maybe it’s not that I’m bored. Maybe it’s because I don’t know how to take one day and relax and do NOTHING! How does one go ABOUT doing nothing?

I need a hobby.

Scrapbooking? That’s Dee Dee’s gig. Chasing down emergency vehicles? Devin’s got that one.

Ho hum.

I want to be the editor in chief of a major magazine that is totally original, totally raking in the big bucks, and totally mine.

Today.

I want to go to the inauguration on Tuesday and sit with Oprah and Stedman and Gayle.

I want to be on tour with the Dixie Chicks—if they would ever go on tour again. I wonder if Natalie Maines is playing solitaire right now and eating top ramen noodles?

Staring at her dog?

Sigh.

10 comments:

Lisa Alexander said...

Daisy,
I again go back to snowshoeing. You have heard it on the news, there is clear skies and sunshine about 30 minutes from your house. We went to Garden Valley yesterday and hiked around. It is WARMER, bright, sunny, and way less depressing. Go for a drive! Find the sun! I would go again if it weren't for homework ( a have-to with a due date, yuck!)
Love ya chica!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Look at that...

White space. Room to breathe. To read. To let the eye rest.

An "Enter" key has been used. A "Return" has been sprung into action.

What is this world coming to?

Just kidding, Daisy :) I always enjoy reading your stuff. This time it was easier for me, though -- the negative space created by the Enter key had me beaming.

I'm bored, too. Except my spouse won't be coming back soon. My kid won't be returning. My dog ain't a barking. And my lips have sort of started to work again. Enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

That last one was by me, by the way...
~Kevin

Anonymous said...

Your bored because you should be here with us...We wish you were!
: (

Love you Devin and Deidre Farless...Hee!

Daisy Martin said...

I KNOW!!! But we'll be together SOOOOOOON! You've got a plane ticket to come this way, remember! :)

Anonymous said...

It must be January! I dunno, would it help if we planned for it next year and set out to beat the ho-hums? I'll have to put that in my planner. . .tomorrow cuz I don't want to right now.

Dad said...

Daisy,
The symptoms you describe indicate that I am bored, except my appetite is is active. The wedding was really great and it was as it should have always been. Building up to it was exciting and we had a good time. We love our new daughter and grand daughter. I also think you should be Chief Editor or have your own magazine to use your awsome writing skills. I just received an email from my friend Martha Bolton who wrote for Bob Hope and now has over 50 books published. I recall she started writing a column in her local California newspaper. So, let's get going.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy,
Julie Fowler from Las Vegas here. Girl! Your writing continues to mature, your voice is so clear and lovely. Even in boredom, I can see you. I will be moving to Central CA soon... new adventures! Love you,
Julie

Tanya in Colorado said...

Daisy, You start the magazine and I will come...

Daisy Martin said...

It's so strange that you guys should be talking about a magazine. I've been doing some thinking about a summer project...

:)
Daisy Rain