Sunday, September 30, 2007

Which Would You Rather?

You’ve done it. I’ve done it. We’ve all done it. Every last one of us in this country has imagined what it would be like to be rich or to be beautiful. We’ve all wanted wisdom beyond our years, perhaps even to leave some sort of reminder as to our existence. And who could blame us?
Who wouldn’t love to live in a 10,000 square foot home on the coast? A house cleaned by other people? Who wouldn’t want to walk out to their six car garage and decide which sports car they’d be taking down Pacific Coast Highway? What would it be like to walk into any store and pick out anything we wanted without even looking at the price tag? What if we could choose any place in the world to travel for a month-long holiday? What if we actually had the money to finance any endeavor we chose?
I know a few people who might sign on for that. I’m not gonna lie--I’d volunteer gladly.
Or maybe an even sweeter deal would be to have a face that could launch a thousand ships? Eternal youth and beauty and health. Men and women spend millions every year to achieve it. The ubiquitous and alluring magazine covers remind us just how very much we value physical beauty. As one who has had a few cosmetic procedures and has no problem with a nip or a tuck here or there as I age, I would have to admit that I could sign on for this one too.
Ah, but let’s consider wisdom. I heard Dr. Phil recently calling for an “outbreak of common sense” in this country. Let’s face it, common sense just doesn’t seem that common, does it? Anybody hear about the guy who attempted the armed robbery in a martial arts studio during a class? The students beat the shit out of him. The Sensei had to pull them off. Failure to plan is planning to fail, right? You know, I might actually vote for this one.
But then again, who could resist eternal notoriety? Pretty compelling if you ask me. Tammy Faye Messner said she’d probably be remembered for her eyelashes, although I think she’ll be more remembered for her sweet spirit than anything else. Janet Jackson will probably be remembered for whipping her boob out on live television at the Superbowl. Mother Theresa is remembered for her compassion and commitment to the world. I think it’s a worthy exercise to contemplate what we might be remembered for after we’re gone. It’s more worthy to actually work toward exercising those contemplations and making them a reality.
In the right hand column of this blog just below my picture, you will find a survey. Please click on one of the choices. (Material for a future blog post? Hmmm...) After you vote, check to see what other people think. It’ll be fun! You can share your thoughts as to WHY you chose what you chose by posting a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my vote is for the wealth.
I am a sharing and caring perosn, even as poor as I get now I still give it away, so why not give more away and help many. beauty is so over rated, no thanks! wisdom, scary too interlectual for me. and being remebered for something? well what if it was something wrong or a false accusing, yah I would rather have the money and let peolpe think I'm materialistic even though I know the truth.

Anonymous said...

I voted for wisdom. If you had the wisdom of the ages, all the rest would be granted.