Tuesday, June 19, 2007

World Premier: Retailing Jesus

So, we’ve moved from WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?) to WDJLL: What Did Jesus Look Like? Apparently, some good folks from Holland have figured it out. Here’s the article that was e-mailed to me this week:

World premiere of 3-D holographic “images of Christ” at International Christian Retail Show.

At the International Christian Retail Show (July 8-12, 2007, in Atlanta) Grizzly Adams Productions (booth MS3) will present at Bridge-Logos booth 3039 “the world’s first scientific 3-D holographic images of Jesus Christ,” according to a company announcement. These five fragile glass holographic images were prepared by laser scientists in Amsterdam, Holland, and were extrapolated from the reputed burial cloth of Jesus Christ known as the Shroud of Turin. The five images include the face of Christ and the front and back images of His crucified body.

“Christian booksellers coming to the Bridge-Logos booth will be given three-dimensional viewing glasses to see these sacred images and informational handouts explaining the new scientific findings discovered in the holographic images,” says David Balsiger, senior producer of the new Grizzly Adams Productions documentary DVD and co-author of the book The Case for Christ’s Resurrection (Bridge-Logos). “Also, a world-renowned expert on the holographic images and the Shroud of Turin will be on hand to explain the images and to answer questions.

Now, I’m not trying to poo-poo on anybody’s holographic parade. Really, I’m not. It’s just that none of this impresses me. However, when I can see what Jesus looks like from the life of someone living about 2000 years later, who has not ever really seen the man, Jesus, and yet believes, now THAT impresses me.

I feel the same way about the whoopty-doo over having the Ten Commandments displayed in public places. Why don’t we just display them in our lives? Wouldn’t that be exponentially more effective? If people are just trying to one-up all the other religions in this country, then duking it out in the court system is probably the best way to go. But if bringing our community to a place of moral unity that exemplifies compassion and respect for one another is the goal, perhaps displaying those commandments in our daily lives is the better option. And let’s remember, all of the law, all that the prophets came to tell us, and all of the commandments really hinge on two commands: Love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.

If we all did that, would anybody even wonder what He looked like way back when? Or would we be content with the fact that we could see Him every single day? I think I’d be content.

I get e-mails and text messages that say, "If you claim to love Jesus, then forward this to 14,000 people. If you’re ashamed of Him, then delete this message." Yeah, I pretty much delete those. Sorry. I’m not a very good Internet Christian. I just don’t know what the cyber-Jesus looks like. Not sure I want to promote him.

I don’t have any catchy little Jesus bumper stickers on my car. When the e-mails say, “97% of people will delete this e-mail,” I’m in that 97%. I don’t have any desire to see the Ten Commandments down at the courthouse. And I’m not going to Holland to see Jesus.

I don’t follow after signs and wonders, but I can sure tell you signs and wonders follow after God’s people. And I’m not talking about the “Ten Commandments” signs. It is truly a wonder that God can take a broken life and create a wonderful, rich, abundant life where once there was no hope of ever really becoming anything. It is a sign of His mercy. All other “signs” pale pathetically in comparison. I should know. I was such a life.

The holographic images of Christ are not “The Case for Christ’s Resurrection.”

But I am.

5 comments:

Rissa said...

Daisy,
I just love your sense of humor! Exactly what you feel and to the point! Now, let's hope I can follow your example! I agree with you completely about the "image" of Christ. Honestly. Who cares? I know that Jesus is The Christ and that He loves us so much that He was willing to be crucified for our sins. Now, I know there are some things that we don't quite agree on, but we do not let that change our own views or how we feel about each other. Just as you were saying, He only wants us to love Him and love others beyond ourselves. Pretty simple, right? After all, we are all children of God. But, of course, it always seems as if there are a handful who have to cause trouble and distort the truth. The definition of faith is having a belief in something for which there is no proof. I don't understand why people see a need to "prove" that God exists. It is an awesome feeling in your heart, not something tangible. So many are wasting their time looking for concrete evidence. I do not believe this shroud is really what they say it is because, if it was, what would be the purpose of faith and gaining a testimony of The Savior? If it is, are they going to be happy? No, they will go on another one of their wild goose chases, hoping that there will be more. Running around like chickens with their heads cut off, when the truth is right in front of them. But they are so blind, and so stubborn, that they will not admit to a higher power and find out in their own hearts if it is true.
Sorry... I tried to keep it short, but you got me going!

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the fіrst time hеrе. I сame across this board and І
find It truly usеful & іt helped me out much.
I hope to givе something bасk and aіd others lіκe уou helρed me.


Feel free to surf tο my web page :
: bucket trucks for sale
My web page: bucket trucks

Anonymous said...

I read this artiсle completely on the tοрic
of the dіffeгence of latеst and eaгlier
tеchnοlogies, it's remarkable article.

Also visit my web-site: http://www.dallasautoinsurance1.com
Here is my web site ; dallas auto insurance

Anonymous said...

Үοur stуle is ѵery uniquе compared tο other folkѕ I havе read stuff from.

Thankѕ for posting when yοu've got the opportunity, Guess I'll
just boοkmark thiѕ sіtе.


Look іnto my hоmepаge: taxi irving

Anonymous said...

I've read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you place to make this sort of wonderful informative website.

My page - how to make money flipping cars on craigslist