Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Poem: Where I'm From

I've never accused myself of being a poet, and come to think of it, neither has anyone else. Here, though, is an attempt. This poem was written from a "template" of sorts. I was given a basic format, a formula to follow. Here is the result. I kinda like it. See what you think. If you're inspired, follow the format and tell me where YOU are from...

Where I’m From
6/5/04

I am from a cruelty that seems distant now.
From flying fists and fits of rage,
I am from indifference and isolation.
Loneliness, my salvation.
I am from the endless chores:
Cleaning dishes without water because it’s been shut off,
Caring for children who aren’t mine,
A mother who is herself a child,
And a man who is not my husband.

I am from a world that sits squarely on my shoulders,
But I don’t belong.
I’m from, “You think you’re better, don’t you?”
Gratefully, yes.

I’m from so long, farewell, to Hell with you, goodbye.
I’m from anything that’s better than this.
I’m from outside this place,
A higher place.

I’m from a husband who knows tenderness
And a child who has never known threat.
I am from large doses of daily, uninhibited laughter
that heals me.
I am from steak and king crab legs for no apparent reason
if that’s what I want,
And lights that come on when I flip the switch.
I am from a purpose that is defined
And a destiny that is uniquely mine.
I am from clarity.

I am from these moments--
A flower that has miraculously bloomed in a barren desert.

7 comments:

Dancing daisy fan said...

Daisy chick,
You ARE SO AMAZING!!!! I love you and your son and oh yeah your husband. You are all amazing. So deep yet so profound. From where came from to where you are. I can relate on so many diffrent levels. I heal through you.
XOXOXOXOXO

RodDsm said...

Daisy, Daisy, Daisy...love read the blog. Couldn't have written poetry any better. You say what most of us think...just can't articulate. You rock!!!

Holly said...

Eventually, I will stop sobbing and post something in response. Right now, I am just going to sob. I love this.

Rachinlv said...

Daisy,
I smile, yet cry in reading your poem. Your words are so very powerful! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and life. I look forward to more posts!!!

sofia d. said...

I marvel at how an artist can create mere symbols to display one's soul and in doing so, capture another.
I've been
Captured. Inspired. Changed.

Rissa said...

Daisy,
I realize I am a bit slow posting my comment. I'm sorry! I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful example you are to me and my family! You are truly my Hero and haved helped me through some painful times! I really appreciate all you have taught me about hangin' in there when I feel like giving up. Now, for my comments about your poem. All I can say is "WOW!" I guess I never realized what you have overcome! I'm assuming this is because I never knew the Daisy in the beginning of the poem. This is probably going to sound stupid coming from a teenager, but I am so proud of you for striving to become the person you are today!

Dev said...

My dearest Daisy. I love you. I knew you then and I know you now and as I said the first time I read it, it captures so beautifully your transformation, past and present in a nutshell. I think you are on your way to becoming Emily...ha!